- Pick a time of day when you can always practice, even for just a few minutes.
- Choose a small amount of time that you can always do, for example, 5 minutes.
- Set it on the calendar or sticky note or smartphone alarm.
- Practice for just the allotted time.
- If you feel you can do more or want to do more, go ahead, but don’t skip a day,
- Make an X on your chart or calendar for everyday you practice.
- Celebrate each small win with a small reward
As I said in a previous post, creating a practice routine that is at the same time everyday, in the same location, begins to cultivate a habit. Willpower is required at first, but then it becomes a trigger that sets the routine in motion.
Habits are what we are made of. Successful habits separate winners from losers. There’s no willpower involved, you just do it.